Make the right choices for safe online consultations.
You have a choice of where and how you gain access to prescription medicines, but doing so on the internet can be a risky business. In order to protect your health and ensure that you do not get ripped off with no chance of compensation we recommend that you stick to a few simple guidelines to reduce your risk.
- Always choose a UK registered business that is registered with the Care Quality Commission. Ensure they provide you with a clearly stated UK address and telephone number. It is an offence to offer private medical services in the UK without the approval of the Care Quality Commission and they ensure that the service offered complies with UK law and is safe for you. If you choose to shop abroad the laws and professional ethical guidelines that protect you in the UK will not apply. If something goes wrong, you need a clear place to contact and complain.
- Ensure the company you choose are working with a General Pharmaceutical Council registered UK Pharmacy which dispenses guaranteed UK genuine medicines.
- Check that the doctor who undertakes your consultation is registered with the General Medical Council (GMC) in the UK and is a GP or a Consultant.
- Avoid companies and websites that offer to sell you prescription only medication such as Viagra, Cialis, Levitra, Propecia, Xenical, Champix and Tamiflu without a medical consultation and the production of a legal prescription to a pharmacy for checking and dispensing by a qualified pharmacist.
- Look for companies that look after you AFTER you have ordered. It’s important that you are checked a while after you start taking any medication to ensure that you have no problems. This is recommended by the GMC guidelines for online consultation.
- It is NOT illegal to display a price list for medicines or a medical service, however it is illegal to make claims of medical effectiveness for a prescription only medicine to a member of the general public.
- It is always best to advise your normal doctor of all medicines that you are taking as they can interact with other medicines they may wish to prescribe for you.